Sunday, June 6, 2010

My VBAC OB

My fears about seeing Dr. M were completely groundless. I thought I was going to have a freak-out, but I didn't. He has a sort of calming aura that's hard to describe. And, I suppose it doesn't hurt that he's slightly effeminate.
Dr. M's married, and they have three small children. When he was starting medical school, his wife became pregnant for the first time. That was what made him decide he wanted to be an OB over anything else he could have done. He said the whole process was just fascinating to him- it was truly a miracle, and he wanted to be a part of it, and learn as much as he could about it. He describes his wife's first birth as "Totally awesome and amazing!" It was even more awesome when they weighed the baby- over 9 lbs, delivered naturally, with no pain meds. Their other two children were born the same way, both over 9 lbs. He believes that if his "itty-tiny" wife can push out a 9 pounder, any woman can.
He doesn't put an estimated baby weight limit on VBACs. "Not uless it's estimate to be, like, 20 pounds, then we'll think twice."
He doesn't believe that due dates mean you need the baby out by that day. "Due date does not mean expired."
He doesn't believe that just because you're a VBAC, you need to be constantly watched and monitored. "I trust your body to know what it's doing, and that you'll know if something's not right."
He does believe that a woman's body is capable of amazing things during childbirth.
He does believe in a woman's right to choose their own birth experience.
He does believe I can do this.

One of the funnier things Dr. M said to me (and he does have a very good sense of humor, which I like) was during my appointment when I signed my VBAC consent form. "What happens if you can't make it?" I asked him. He told me there was only one other resident still there that he thought I might have problems with, "but I'm sure you'll tell them right where to shove their medical degree."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 comments :)