Sunday, August 8, 2010

Goth Fly A Kite

I am soooo late posting this, it's disgusting.
Anyway.
GFAK 2010

Goth Fly A Kite is an annual event held by... Us. Us goths. It takes place on a given Saturday in June, at Fort Williams park, in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.
It started as a "Hey, let's get all gothy and go fly kites!" And it grew... This year, attendance was over 200 people. I don't have the actual figures, but it was huge... Another GFAK was held on the same day in Seattle. Next year, we hope to go international.

I have only missed a few of them, but generally I get to go to the after-party. Not this year, of course, as Alex was only six days old. He was the youngest attendee. So, what do we do? Bring out the baby bats, sun hats, parasols, and puppies! Did I say puppies! I meant PUPPIES!!! OMG CUTE PUPPIES!!! Then we BBQ, fly kites, play kickball (I didn't this year, I was beat from giving birth), generally enjoy being outside, and hope we don't get burned too badly.

This year, there was an interesting addition to our festivities... A group of Ultra-Religious decided to serenade us with songs detailing how we were all going to burn in hell. Hmmm... We were not really impressed. The singer was dreadful. The guitar player, however, was pretty good. Someone offered him a place in their band. Said guitar player declined the invitation.

The song preachers... and one guy who doesn't care.
My mother was actually accosted by one of the women while she was visiting the port-a-potty. "I'm not going to judge you, because I'm not judgmental, but you are dressed like a whore and you're going straight to hell." Wow. Not judging, huh? My mother was livid, but because she's not a judgmental person, and she prefers not to get into verbal confrontations with idiots, she said, "Oh, well, that's too bad you think that," and walked away.

GW even got one of the people he works with (a doctor) to bring his daughter (and what he calls her "ragamuffin friends") this year. I think Dr. J had a grand time, he was everywhere, helping little kids with their kites, laying around in the grass, and smiling like the Cheshire cat on The Nip. There were quite a few people asking us "Do you know that guy?", and we had to admit we did. They thought it was pretty awesome that he came- even if he was dressed like he walked out of a Polo catalog. Hey, it takes all kinds, right?
Sooooooo....
Here's a few of my favorite photos from the event:
TJ, Kim, & Mum
The reason I got a nursing cover... Just look at those engorged boobies! OW!!
This one is just "Awwwww!" I had it made into a 5x7 for our picture wall :)
These are taken by one of my friends, A. D. Cnaan
Umbrella Installation
Bet meeting who she bought presents for
Telling my birth story to Suzie & Bet
Not sure what that face was all about...


TJ... Wore his shirt backwards that day.
Mum & her melty popsicle
My lovely Sisterface with her melty popsicle
And me with my melty popsicle.

If you're interested in finding out more, check out:
and

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Gods. *blinks* I wish I knew about this before hand (not that I would have been able to go, but I could have still pouted over it).
    How super an idea. I love it...
    Though I'd be covered in sunblock and umbrella and generally hiding in the shade. XD

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments :)