Sunday, December 12, 2010

Shopping Beats The Crap Out Of Me (and Alex, too)

We. Are. SO. DONE.
With the x-mas shopping.
I spoke to my mom earlier today on the phone, and asked her what she wanted for a gift. She said there was nothing she wanted. So I asked her if there was anything she needed. She said "food".
This makes me sad. I've been there. Things have been rough for her since she left my father several years ago. Her life has been a total mess ever since then.
I still feel partially responsible for it, but I know she's a big girl, and she can make her own mistakes choices. So anyways...
We decided that we should get her & my sister (they live together) gift cards to their usual grocery store, and some staples to go along with it, as well as a few things they would like, but would never buy because of the cost. We got them a few boxes of pasta, some sauce, soup, chocolates, a Ghirardelli brownie mix (mmmmm!), $75.00 to Hannaford, and $25.00 to WM. Oh, and a fruitcake, because that's one of my favorite things to call my sister. We also got Romeo a new jacket, and Bertha & Cleo a stocking full of kitteh goodies from WM. Which Romeo will probably steal. (He thinks he's a cat.) As I think about it, we left out Mishka, my sister's snake. DAMMIT! We should probably get her some frozen mice. Their gifts are going in a set of poinsettia boxes from WM. (One of my mom's favorite plants... She fell in love with them when she lived in Florida as a teen with my Aunt Kay.) We also fund some fuzzy minky socks for them, because my dad is a lazy ass, and doesn't fill their oil like he should, so the house is cold. I had originally planned to keep them, but when we got to the register, I decided that they would go to my mom & sisterface. Mom's are black, so they can still look professional if she wears them to work. Sisterface's are my favoritest color blue.

Since I know Holly & Heather don't read my blog, I can tell you what we got for them, too: $30 each to the movies and....
 For Heather's extras, we got  a bunch of movie candy boxes (she likes to feel naughty and smuggle in her own), as well as some little packages of rainbow Goldfish and a horse ornament for Rebecca.
For additions to Holly's gift, we got a couple of pretty tea mugs, some tea in festive flavors, and some cookies to go with it.
They both got coffee from a local maker that claims the "buzz lasts all day!" with a picture of a mosquito on it for LOL's. We found some AWESOME!!! top hat baskets that were 50% off at Michael's that we're putting their stuff in. They were every penny worth of the $10 each, and then some! We may have to go back and get one for ourselves, Paris would try to sleep in it, and it would be totally adorable!

We also decided my grandma needed a fuzzy minky bathrobe like the one I have. We found the perfect one at Reny's. It's all pink and flowery, like the room my grandma always wanted, and didn't get until after my grandfather got sick... He couldn't go upstairs to know what we were doing to that room. ;)


But...
Now we have all this crap all over our kitchen floor, and I don't want to deal with it.
Alex was miserable for most of the time. He didn't eat as often as he normally gets to, so when we finally got home, he pigged out, and then threw up all over the place. Three times. GW put him to sleep while I finished putting the snaps on the pirate & space fitteds. It kills me to listen to him cry, but if I hold him, he NEVER goes to sleep. And if I nurse him to sleep, he nurses all night long, and I wake up more tired than when I tried to go to bed.
So now, for de-stressing, GW is shooting people in an online game, and I am... Well, here. I keep thinking I should go sort out some of that crap we got, and pack things up, or make some more diapers, but meh, I just don't want to.

I made Miranda's (possibly future SIL) scarf, (a cute minky penguin print that I want to BURN!! because if I ever have to sew that shit again, it will be too soon) and I still need to make Kathy's (SIL), which will be a fleece Kermit. I'm thinking I will make it a wide scarf, so she can wrap it over her head or hang it on a wall or just hug it, or... whatever. She had mentioned her favorite character ever was Kermit when we showed he Alex's green fleece pants, and she wanted some. I don't have enough of the "Kermit Green" left for pants, but I do have enough to make it a 2-sided scarf, along with an awesome Kermit print remnant from Joann's. I think I can pseudo-quilt it, to make it more interesting. If Priss is agreeable.

My BIL Ryan (Miranda's mate) is getting a gift card to Sears, because he's started a new mechanic job where he needs his own tools. He's also getting a cheesecake, because it's his favorite dessert. He has to share it with Miranda, though. I think if we neglected to get him cheesecake, he'd cry. (Of course, he practically cries when I breastfeed in front of him, but again, whatever. He doesn't have to look if it bothers him.)

For GW's dad & stepmom (Dawn) we got a set of Budweiser BBQ sauces & a beer bread mix. Dawn is getting a pretty jar filled with hot chocolate.
GW's mom is a lot more difficult. She doesn't need anything, and he's been estranged from her for quite some time. I've tried to remedy this since we started dating, and I've done a pretty good job. But we still don't know WTF to get for her. She always gives us really weird crafty things. Like a magazine print of "American Gothic" by Grant Wood, mod-podged to a green painted board. (It used to be above my sink when I lived alone. When GW moved out of my apartment, I told him I was keeping it. It's hanging above our stove, for the OMG/My-MIL-Is-Cracked/LOL/WTF's.)
We decided that everyone's fambly is getting pictures of Alex on CD, so they can print whatever ones they want out of our vast collection. That was what Kathy had asked for, so we thought it would be a good gift for everyone, too. Plus, if we give them to everyone, there is no chance anyone will feel slighted. Kind of like how we did our wedding. We also plan to give Alex one of the butter cookies we are dipping in chocolate (before it's dipped), taking a picture, putting "Ha Ha! My Germs!" on the picture, and putting the picture under the cookies. And then we'll let the LOL/OMG/Which-Cookie-Was-It???'s begin. Of course, Alex will NOT be allowed to actually eat the cookie, but it will be funny just the same.

Oh, and speaking of Cookies... We got Alex some organic teething biscuits on our shopping extravaganza...
OMFG.
NASTY.
Not the cookies themselves, they smelled really tasty, but the mess he made was EPIC.
Note to self: baby needs to be nekkid for cookies. White is not appropriate.
We got Chinese for dinner, since we knew that once we finally made it home, we wouldn't want to make anything. I got mine with white rice, just in case Alex wanted to share in our dinner experience. (BLW... FTW!)
Alex really liked the magical rice, which disappeared when he tried to pick it up. In reality, it was sticking to his hand. And sleeper. And head. I'm not sure if he actually ate any, but with BLW, the whole point is exploration, not consumption. Then, he started using the (nasty, smushy, icky) cookie to pick up the rice. "Yay! Moms, I makes a spoon!" It was so cute, and so gross. I didn't take any pictures, because I had misplaced the Panda, where my cameras were. There were a couple of times when Alex dropped the cookie into his chair, and I had to retrieve it for him... EWWWWW!!!! I forgot just how gross these things really are. Eleven years tends to erase a lot of the bad stuff from your memory.

And the Bibbit wakes, and I must go....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 comments :)